Environmental Services (Sanitation)

Household Hazardous Waste & Electronics

How do I get rid of household hazardous materials?
Household hazardous waste including old/unused medications and "syringes" or "sharps," can be taken to SOCRRA.  To dispose of needles (sharps) safely, place them in a hard container such as a laundry detergent bottle or a coffee can.  Tape the lid on, mark it before dropping it off at SOCRRA.  This service is available, FREE, to SOCRRA community residents ONLY.  Be prepared to show proof of residency. A utility bill can be used if you, yourself, are not the SOCRRA resident or you do not have a driver’s license.  Drop Off times:  Mon - Fri 8am to 3:30pm (Weds until 5:30pm) and Sat 8am to 2pm.  For more information on what is acceptable and to confirm times, go to  SOCRRA HHW/Electronics information .

How do I get rid of electronics?
Electronics can be taken to SOCRRA.  Due to recent changes with SOCRRA's Electronics Vendor, this service is available to SOCRRA community residents and businesses ONLY. They will ask for proof of residency when dropping things off.

Electronics/Metal/Household Hazardous Waste/Book Drop off & Shredder Events
The DPW holds two Electronics Recycling and Shredding events each year, in the spring and fall. You can call the DPW at (248) 547-1888 for dates.  Electronics and shredding (plus household hazardous waste, Styrofoam, plastic bags, bulk plastics, and more) can also be handled at SOCRRA every weekday between 9:00 am and 5:00pm and on Saturdays from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm.  Starting in 2019, the Friends of The Library book collection will take place at the Library in a separate event.


Stay Updated Weekly eBlast Sign Up